Spirit Day 2017 Spirit Team Application Information
Spirit Day is designed to celebrate the Grade 7 students of our archdiocese and has grown tremendously since the inaugural event in February 2005. This event will get participants excited about receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation, and awaken the Holy Spirit in young and old alike. The day will include sessions, testimonies, games, music, skits, prayer, food, and Mass.
Spirit Day is offered on two separate days. Thus, for 2017, school and parish groups will have the option of attending either Saturday, November 4 from 1:00pm – 9:00pm OR Sunday, November 5 from 10:00am – 6:00pm at Chandos Pattison Auditorium at Pacific Academy in Surrey.
The Spirit Team is an integral part of the program as team members serve as role models to the Grade 7 students. The Spirit Team will serve in areas of hospitality (i.e. welcoming & leading icebreakers); ushering (i.e. directing to seats and managing movement between buildings), and being present among the participants in the general sessions.
We are looking for individuals who have:
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ and an active and growing faith and prayer life
- A passion for today’s youth and a desire to understand and relate to them
- A spirit of evangelism and a desire to share what God has taught you
- A servant’s heart, a listening ear, an accepting attitude and a compassionate vision
- A commitment to the Catholic Church and its ministries
- A desire to leave his/her safety zone and reach youth where they are at
- An appreciation for teamwork, and desire to work hard at being a team player
Spirit Team members must also:
- Submit the Spirit Day 2017: Spirit Team Application Form and possibly participate in an interview.
- Preferably be in grade 11 or 12 or in First Year University/College (i.e. be born in 1999, 2000, or 2001). Applicants must be in at least grade 11 to apply.
- Be available to serve on both event dates (November 4 and November 5).
- Attend the Team Selection Try-out meeting on Saturday, October 14, 2017 (10:00am – 2:00pm) at the John Paul II Pastoral Centre (4885 Saint John Paul II Way, Vancouver).
- Attend the Team Meeting #2 on Sunday, October 29, 2017 (1:00pm – 5:00pm) at the John Paul II Pastoral Centre.
- Attend the mandatory training meeting on the evening of Friday, November 3, 2017 from 7:00pm to 9:00pm at Chandos Pattison Auditorium at Pacific Academy. Spirit Team members must attend this meeting to familiarize themselves with the facilities and rehearse. Volunteers who cannot attend this training meeting will not be accepted onto the Spirit Team.
- On November 4, be at Chandos Pattison Auditorium from 10:00am – 10:00pm for pre-event prep and Spirit Day 2017.
- On November 5, be at Chandos Pattison Auditorium from 8:00am – 7:00pm for pre-event prep and Spirit Day 2017.
- Submit a medical release / code of conduct form (this form will be provided to you).
SPIRIT DAY 2017 SPIRIT TEAM APPLICATION Process is now closed. Thank you to all who have applied! We will be in contact with you soon.
New and Returning applicants need to apply.
Please feel free to submit an application form for the Logistics Team if you are interested in serving on that team. If you are selected, you may serve on only one of the teams.
If you need more information regarding the Spirit Teams please contact Erwin Fung (Event Coordinator) or call 604.683-0281 x.50226