Registering Your Children For School:
Education is very important to most Canadians. The education system in Canada has three levels. Children usually go to elementary school from ages five to 12 and to secondary school (high school) from ages 13 to 17 or 18. After secondary school, students can go on to post secondary study at colleges, technical schools and universities.

In BC all children between the ages of 5 and 16 must go to school. Public elementary and secondary (high) schools are free. Some children go to independent (private) schools. Most independent schools charge fees.

To register a child for public school, phone your local board of education (school district) office. Look in the yellow pages under Schools or ask at a school near your home.

Some independent schools have religious programs, such as Catholic or Muslim schools. Others may have different teaching methods. Most independent schools charge fees. For more information on independent schools visit the Federation of Independent Schools Association website or visit the BC Ministry of Education.

Child Tax Benefits:
The Child Tax Benefit or the CTB is a monthly payment to help families with the cost of raising children under the age of 18.

To qualify, at least one parent must be a resident of Canada and both parents must send in their income tax forms every year, even if they have no income to report.

To apply or for more information about the CTB, call 1-800-387-1193 or visit the Government of Canada website.




Refugee Sponsorship Program: While Waiting Overseas | Refugee Sponsorship Program: Upon Arrival

Apply for Social Insurance Number | Apply for Medical Service Plan |

Open a Bank Account | Register Children for School / Receive Child Tax Credit



Share This Page: