If you do not have your license or access to a vehicle you can use public transportation to get around. These include: buses, the sky train and the sea bus. You need exact change for transit fare or a Compass Card. Young children often ride for free as long as an adult accompanies them and there are discounted fares for seniors, people with disabilities, children and full-time students.

On transit systems, which issue transfers, you can connect to another bus or another form of transit within a certain period of time. Just make sure you request these transfers from the driver when you pay your fare. In the Lower Mainland there is a zone system in effect and travelling between zones usually requires you to pay an additional fare. In some areas like the sky train stations or the sea bus ports there are spot checks in effect to ensure that you pay your fare. Travelling on transit without paying your fare can result in a substantial fine.

BC Transit has information for all local transit services or you can visit the Translink website to help you get around in Metro Vancouver.

Refugee Sponsorship Program: While Waiting Overseas | Refugee Sponsorship Program: Upon Arrival

Find a Settlement Agency | Apply for BC Driver’s License | Get Familiarized with Public Transportation |

Learn English as a Second Language | Some other Tips to Living in Vancouver


Share This Page: