Every resident of British Columbia must register for the BC Health Insurance, known as the Medical Services Plan or MSP. Enrollment of MSP is mandatory for all permanent residents.

All persons in BC who have protected persons status are asked to call the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) for detailed information. 604-683-7151 or 1-800-663-7100.

Note: Every person in the family must be registered.

To enroll for MSP:

  1. You will need your Record of Landing, Permanent Residents Card or your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (temporary residents will be required to have their temporary residents permit, work or study permit)
  2. Fill out an application form
    1. Fill out one per family and dependants who are 18 years or younger (Children 19 or older must enroll separately
    2. When applying for MSP be sure to write “CONVENTION REFUGEE ON ARRIVAL” on the top of the form. This will ensure that this application is sent to the “Special Refugee Group Plan.”
  3. Send a copy of the Record of Landing IMM 1000 or Confirmation of Permanent Residence IMM 5292 of each family member together with a copy of the visa or single travel document.
    1. Be sure that all copies of the document are legible.
  4. Scan and email documents to refugee@hibc.gov.bc.ca or send by mail by putting all documents in one envelope and be sure to add ATTN: SPECIAL REFUGEE SECTION on the front of the envelope.

MSP covers most medical needs. To find out what needs are covered by MSP visit the Ministry of Health Services website.



Refugee Sponsorship Program: While Waiting Overseas | Refugee Sponsorship Program: Upon Arrival

Apply for Social Insurance Number | Apply for Medical Service Plan |

Open a Bank Account | Register Children for School / Receive Child Tax Credit



Share This Page: