The Catholic Charities Men’s Hostel is looking for on-call, part-time, and full-time Guest Attendants and Custodians to support the Men’s Hostel. The Hostel is searching for staff who have a flexible schedule and can work shifts during the day (Janitorial shift) or evenings and/or overnight shifts (Guest Attendants). Under the direction of the Director of Shelter Services and the Shift Leaders, the Attendants are responsible for the immediate care and needs of the guests, while the custodians are responsible for providing staff and guests with a safe, clean and comfortable working and rest environment.
Working collaboratively with other Shelter staff, the Guest Attendant will:
- Support the Mission of the Catholic Charities Men’s Hostel including a willingness to respect Catholic and other multi-faith beliefs as well as a philosophy of compassionate service to others;
- Interact with the guests and be available to listen and respond to guests’ needs;
- Monitor the safety of the guests;
- Complete general administrative tasks, including responding to phone calls, entering data into the daily log etc.;
- Complete a variety of other guest relations and administrative duties as assigned.
The Custodian duties and responsibilities will include, the following:
- Janitorial tasks such as:
- Cleaning and disinfecting interior and guest areas, washrooms according to Health standards;
- Cleaning up spills, trash, properly disposing of garbage waste and responding to special requests for custodial services as directed;
- Maintaining a safe environment and reporting safety, sanitary, fire and other hazards as appropriate.
Desired Skills and Experience
- A deep desire to serve the homeless in our community;
- Previous experience working or volunteering with homeless persons (shelter experience preferred);
- Superior conflict resolution and de-escalation skills;
- The ability to work collaboratively, to respect confidentiality, to serve patrons of all spiritual persuasions, embracing servant leadership;
- Knowledge of substance abuse and mental health issues preferred;
- A background in social work, emergency services, mental health, healthcare and serving the homeless would be beneficial for the Guest Attendant role but is not required. Training is provided.
- Different flexible shifts are available;
- Must abide by the Archdiocesan Safe Environment Policy & Code of Conduct;
- Successful Police Check with Vulnerable Sector Search required prior to the start of employment.
Please submit a résumé and cover letter (indicating days / shifts availability) with “Men’s Hostel” in the subject line to:
Thank you for your interest; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.