Garibaldi Highlands, BC
Since the only monastery of Dominican nuns in Canada is situated in Berthierville, Quebec, the Master General of the Dominican Order asked for volunteers from among the United States monasteries to found a contemplative community in Western Canada. Under the leadership of Sister Mary Thomas, OP., the Monastery of the Blessed Sacrament, Farmington Hills, Michigan was asked to sponsor this project and the collaboration of five volunteers who were chosen from different monasteries initiate this endeavor.
With blessing and generous support of Archbishop Adam Exner, OMI, of the Vancouver Archdiocese, the five foundresses arrived in Surrey, BC on November 27, 1999. They were residing in a small house provided for their use by the Archdiocese on the grounds of Rosemary Heights Retreat Centre. Two years later, the Dominican nuns had their monastery in Walnut Grove area in Langley where they were situated in a beautiful and tranquil farming community.
On October 17, 2009, the Holy See, the Order of St. Dominic and the Archbishop of Vancouver, Most Reverend J. Michael Miller, CSB, affirmed that the community had reached maturity and could be formally recognized and “given the privileges and spiritual favours and obligations which all Monasteries of the Dominican Order legitimately enjoy.”
The Dominican nuns outgrew their temporary home in Fort Langley and therefore have relocated north of Vancouver in the Upper Squamish Valley in August 2010. They are renting Mystic Mountain Lodge which is only 5 minutes from land they have acquired and upon which they are about to build a permanent monastery.
For more information contact:
Dominican Contemplative Nuns
Sr. Marie Tersidis Tarimo, O.P (Prioress)
Queen of Peace Monastery
Mailing Address: Box 1745 Garibaldi Highlands, BC V0N 1T0
Place of residence: 1021 Cloudburst Crescent
Phone: (604) 815-0993