The Door Is Open (DIO) of the Archdiocese of Vancouver is looking for a part-time custodian. Under the direction of the Co-Managers, the Custodian is responsible for providing the patrons, staff and volunteers with a safe, clean, and comfortable working and resting environment. This role is an essential part of the team of employees and volunteers that work together for the fulfillment of the mission of DIO: to lessen the social alienation of the poor, the homeless, and the single room tenants of Vancouver.
The duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Janitorial tasks such as:
- Cleaning and disinfecting interior and guest areas, washrooms according to Health standards;
- Cleaning up spills, trash, properly disposing of garbage waste and responding to special requests for custodial services as directed;
- Assisting with the organization & distribution of the Food Bank;
- Maintaining a safe environment and reporting safety, sanitary, fire and other hazards as appropriate.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Affirm and support the Mission and Values Statements of Catholic Charities’ Door Is Open, including a willingness to respect Catholic and other multi-faith beliefs as well as a philosophy of compassionate service to others;
- Be physically and mentally able to carry out the assigned duties in the working environment;
- Demonstrate a positive and respectful attitude towards the patrons;
- Ability to communicate effectively, possess good interpersonal skills, especially conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrate the ability to work as part of a collaborative team;
- Have good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize;
- Maintain confidentiality and respect guest privacy;
- Have a working understanding of poverty issues, homelessness, addiction issues, and inner-city needs is essential.
- Located at 255 Dunlevy Avenue, in the heart of East Vancouver;
- Availability for weekdays and weekends as required;
- Must adhere to the Archdiocesan Code of Conduct and Safe Environment, Personnel, and other relevant policies;
- Successful Police Check with Vulnerable Sector Search required prior to the start of employment;
- Opportunity to work in a faith-based team environment.
Deadline to apply: Will remain open until filled
Please submit a résumé and cover letter with “DIO Custodian” in the subject line to:
Thank you for your interest; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.