For more information, click here

To drive in BC you must have a valid driver’s license. If you have just moved to BC you can use your license from your previous residence for up to 90 days, but have to apply for a BC driver’s license within that 90 day period. If you have held a full privileged license for a full two years, you can apply for a BC driver’s license.

You must be 16 or older to apply for a BC driver’s license.

Driver’s licenses and insurance are issued by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC).

To obtain a BC Class 5 Driver’s License:

  1. You will need two pieces of identification. To find out what pieces of identification are acceptable visit the ICBC website.
  2. Depending where your past license is from, you might be able to exchange it for a BC license right away.
    1. You may not need to take tests if you have a license from: United States, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, South Korea or another Canadian province.
    2. You may need to take the road and knowledge tests if you have a license from: China, Iran, Philippines or Iran.
    3. If you have a license from another location, you will need to show your foreign driver’s license or your driving record or a letter of experience.
    4. Non-English documents must be translated an ICBC approved translator. For more information call 1-800-950-1498.
  3. Take the Knowledge test. Study the Learn to Drive Smart Guide to learn the driving rules in BC. This guide and practice knowledge tests are available on the ICBC website.
    1. In order to pass the knowledge test you need to answer at least 40 out of 50 questions correctly.
  4. Take the Road test, where an ICBC examiner will evaluate your driving skills.
    1. If you are getting your first license you will go through BC’s two stage graduate licensing program.
    2. You may need your Class 5 license before being able to drive another type of vehicle such as a motorcycle, bus, large truck or taxi.

For more information on BC’s graduated licensing visit the ICBC website.

Driving schools can help you learn to drive. You may be able to find a teacher who speaks your language. Look in the yellow pages, under Driving Schools, to find a list of schools in your area. Make sure it is an ICBC-licensed driving school.

Refugee Sponsorship Program: While Waiting Overseas | Refugee Sponsorship Program: Upon Arrival

Find a Settlement Agency | Apply for BC Driver’s License | Get Familiarized with Public Transportation |

Learn English as a Second Language | Some other Tips to Living in Vancouver


Share This Page: