Pope Francis has called on bishops to be shepherds who encounter their flock. In this spirit, I look forward to spending time in parishes through this new program. Archbishop J. Michael Miller, CSB
- (October 2019) St. Mary’s in Vancouver lauded for evangelism, outreach | This is an excerpt from Archbishop Miller’s homily Oct. 20 at St. Mary’s Parish in Vancouver. Read more on bccatholic.ca.
- (June 2019) Richmond parish reflects diversity of body of Christ: Archbishop | Archbishop J. Michael Miller, CSB, recently paid a visit to Canadian Martyrs Parish in Richmond. The following is an excerpt of his homily June 16. Read more on bccatholic.ca.
- (May 2019) Jesus offers a true model of love | This is an excerpt of Archbishop J. Michael Miller’s homily during a visit to Immaculate Conception Parish in Delta May 19. Read more on bccatholic.ca.
According to the Code of Canon Law, the Archbishop is expected to pay visits to the parishes of his Archdiocese in order to familiarize himself with the pastoral needs of his people. The Parish Visit is an occasion to rejuvenate the energies of the parish, to encourage and to reassure the lay faithful, and to foster the evangelizing mission of the Church.
THE PARISH VISIT LASTS THREE DAYS
Depending on time and circumstances, Archbishop Miller will:
• Celebrate Mass
• Meet with the pastor, assistant, deacons and staff who serve in the parish
• Meet with the Pastoral Council and the Parish Finance Council
• Meet with PREP teachers
• Meet with leaders of different ministries: CWL, Knights of Colubmus, music, liturgical and outreach services
• Visit the school to meet with all the staff
The Archbishop’s visit is a time of grace and celebration. It is a special event in the life of a parish; an opportunity to invite the lay faithful to a renewal of Christian life. The visit engages parishioners, focuses on how the Archdiocesan priorities and goals are being lived out and includes opportunities for discussion and social interaction. It is a time of rejuvenation, encouragement and reassurance. Afterwards, the Archbishop will prepare recommendations to the pastor to help parishioners become more intentional missionary disciples.
COMPLETED PARISH VISITS
- Oct. 19-23, 2017 Corpus Christi, Vancouver (Photos)
- Jan. 18-21, 2018 St. Matthew, Surrey (Photos)
- Jan. 25-28, 2018 Holy Trinity, North Vancouver (Photos)
- Feb. 22-25, 2018 St. Andrew, Vancouver (Photos)
- Mar. 15-18, 2018 Holy Spirit, New Westminster (Photos)
- May 4-5, 2018 Sts. Joachim and Ann, Langley (Photos)
- Sep. 6-9, 2018 St. Francis of Assisi, Vancouver (Photos)
- Oct. 4-7, 2018 Our Lady of Good Counsel, Surrey (Photos)
- Oct. 18-21, 2018 St. Francis de Sales, Burnaby (Photos)
- Nov. 9-11, 2018 Immaculate Conception, Vancouver (Photos)
- Nov. 30-Dec. 2, 2018 St. Edmund, North Vancouver (Photos)
- Feb. 7-10, 2019 St. Pius X, North Vancouver (Photos)
- Feb. 21-24, 2019 Our Lady of the Assumption, Port Coquitlam (Photos)
- March 14-17, 2019 Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Vancouver (Photos)
- April 25-27, 2019 Church of the Assumption, Powell River (Photos)
- May 16-19, 2019 Immaculate Conception, Delta (Photos)
- June 13-16, 2019 Canadian Martyrs, Richmond (Photos)
- Oct. 17, 2019 St. Mary, Vancouver (Photos)
- Oct. 31, 2019 Star of the Sea, Surrey (Photos)
- Nov. 28, 2019 St. Joseph, Langley
- Dec. 12, 2019 St. Augustine, Vancouver
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request printed copies.
Download Parish Visit brochure
Download Priorities & Goals brochure