The Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto have been active in the Archdiocese of Vancouver since 1922 when a small group of sisters came to Vancouver at the invitation of Bishop Timothy Casey and Msgr. (then Father) Louis Forget to teach at St. Patrick’s School.
Over the years, the Sisters also taught at St. Andrew’s School, Blessed Trinity (North Vancouver), St. Francis de Sales, St. Paul’s (Richmond) and St. Mary’s (Chilliwack).
Further afield, the Sisters of St. Joseph were missioned to other B6 areas B Comox, Prince Rupert, Terrace, New Hazelton, Port, McNeil, Kitimat, Queen Charlotte Islands, Mackenzie, Kelowna, and for a brief time, Ladysmith and St. Joseph the Worker, Victoria.
As the years passed and our numbers declined, the Sisters withdrew reluctantly from many of these centres though we have remained a presence in the Archdiocese of Vancouver.
Four Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto remain in Vancouver engaged in various apostolic works: to the sick and elderly, education, Eucharistic ministry to the elderly in nursing care homes or in their own homes and pastoral ministry to the elderly, separated and divorced women.
A video of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto is available in every Catholic High School in the Archdiocese, and also at the Office of Religious Education.
For more information contact:
#506 – 5976 Tisdall Street
Vancouver, BC V5Z 3N2
Phone: 604 263 6135