The Archdiocese of Vancouver is actively involved in the ecumenical dialogue and promotes the initiatives that help Christians grow together in faith, love and service to society. The Decree on Ecumenism (cf. UR 4-5) affirms that all Catholics are called to foster unity with other Christians. Likewise, we are increasing our initiatives to improve the relations with followers of other faith traditions. A Parish Representative is a parishioner appointed by the pastor and helps in communicating and coordinating local ecumenical and interfaith activity.
- A Parish Representative serves as a liaison between the parish and the Archdiocesan Coordinator and the Commission for Ecumenism and Interfaith Relations; and neighbourhood ecumenical and faith associations. He or she keeps the Ecumenical/Interfaith Coordinator regularly informed of any events pertinent to fostering ecumenical and interfaith relations within the parish. The Ecumenical/Interfaith Coordinator and the Commission provide support and guidance to the Parish Representative in planning and implementing any of the initiatives listed below.
- He or she works with the pastor and the Parish Pastoral Council in promoting and organizing ecumenical prayer services and events (such as the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, ecumenical Bible studies, Alpha, Advent worship with Scripture readings and hymns, ecumenical prayers for families, Lenten Way of the Cross, etc. ).
- He or she promotes Christian unity and interfaith understanding by encouraging participation in joint local ecumenical and interfaith programs and outreach which give witness to the shared discipleship in following Christ through service to fellow human beings (such as in pastoral care in hospitals, prisons, universities).
Upcoming Workshop on Dialogue
Many of us do not feel comfortable initiating or entering into dialogue due to a lack of confidence in our own faith. This workshop will generate confidence and courage to do so. Explore ways to engage in ecumenical and interfaith dialogue through culture of encounter and the art of listening.
These free workshops will be offered on the following Saturdays, from 10am-12pm:
- Oct. 1 at All Saints Parish, Coquitlam
- Oct. 29 at St. Patrick’s Parish, Vancouver
- Nov. 26 at St. Mary’s Parish, Vancouver
- Dec. 17 at Immaculate Conception Parish, Delta
Please note: The same workshop is repeated at various locations.
To register or for more info, contact Marjeta Bobnar at email@example.com or 604-683-0281.