“Let us not underestimate the power of so many voices united in prayer.” – Pope Francis
Join the Catholic Women’s League (CWL) for 12 Hours of Prayer for Palliative Care on May 4, 2017. This is designed to take place as a powerful lead-in to the National Hospice Palliative Care Week of May 7 to 13, 2017, as a profound witness to the sanctity of human life.
What you can do:
- Pray: Encourage your parish to be part of this prayer initiative either at home or with your CWL parish council.
- Sign the Petition: Sign and encourage others to sign the petition to the House of Commons asking that hospice and palliative care be included as a defined medical service under the Canada Health Act.
Petition will be made available on the weekend of May 6/7 at all parishes. To ensure that your parish will be participating, please contact your CWL parish council or pastor.
“The need for access to palliative and hospice care has never been greater. Easily accessible end-of-life care offers the best opportunity to reduce demand for assisted suicide.” – Archbishop Miller, CSB Read more.
“Through our resolution, petition, personal letters, government visits and now our prayer day we are promoting a culture of life that included quality palliative care for all citizens. We want all Canadians at end of life stages to experience the comfort, love and sense of accompaniment that we know is possible and that can truly reflect the love that God created in us and for us.” – Margaret Ann Jacobs, National President of CWL
Looking for ways to participate? Below is a list of Vancouver Diocesan CWL Parishes participating in the 12 Hours of Prayer for Palliative Care:
- Corpus Christi Parish – After morning Mass on May 4, Rosary “Reflections for each decade of the Rosary” will be recited
- Our Lady of the Assumption Parish – There will be a 12 hour chain of prayer with hourly intentions for palliative care during adoration by those who signed up.
- St. Monica’s Parish – Solitary prayer at homes for hospice and palliative care on May 4 and Mass and Novena for Hospice and Palliative care on May 10 at 7 p.m.
- St. Matthew’s Parish – Full day of prayer on May 9, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. lead by each executive with possible adoration.
- St. Joseph’s Parish, Mission – Morning mass offered for Palliative and Hospice care followed by a showing of the Euthanasia Deception film on May 4. Petition and a second showing of the film after Mass on Sunday, May 7 at 11 a.m. will be available.
- St. Mary’s Parish, Chilliwack – 12 hours of prayer on May 4 using prayer cards for members at home.
- St. Ann’s, Abbotsford – Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament on May 4, from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. with prayers and petition available to sign.
- St. Andrew’s Parish – Individual prayers for May 4.
- Canadian Martyrs Parish – Prayers will be said on May 8, from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. before the CWL General Meeting.
- Holy Rosary Cathedral – Divine Mercy Chaplet will be recited at 3 p.m., followed by Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and the Rosary at 4 p.m. and ending with Mass at 5:10 p.m. on May 4. Prayers will also be prayed throughout the week until May 13 with the petition available for signing.