“The goal of this preparation consists, in helping engaged couples to know and to live the reality of marriage as it is intended to be celebrated, so that it is possible to do so not only validly and lawfully, but also fruitfully, so that they are able to
make this celebration a stage of their journey of faith,”
– Pope Francis
All couples are advised to take a course at least 4 months before their intended wedding date. Non-Catholics are most welcome, as are couples not yet engaged, but exploring marriage.
Marriage Preparation Process
You must meet with your priest and complete the parish form before attending the first session of Marriage Prep
The priest who is doing the interviews and paperwork has to sign a Parish form for couples (download form) to indicate that you may move forward in the marriage preparation process and do Marriage Prep. Bring the signed parish form to the first session of the course. For weddings taking place outside Vancouver, you may still need to contact a local priest as there are additional requirements and paperwork.
Register and Pay online
Complete Prepare/Enrich Online Relationship Assessment Tool
Prepare/Enrich is custom tailored to a couple’s relationship and provides couple exercises to build their relationship skills. It is a tool used to help couples identify, discuss and work through important relationship issues before they get married. It is a discussion instrument designed to optimize the marriage preparation process.
Participate in 5 sessions of the Marriage Preparation course
Please note that the format of sessions vary on the single weekend, Saturday and weekday evenings.
Attend a Fertility Health Awareness Seminar and a personal follow-up session with a certified teacher
Please read the “Guidelines for Marriage”
For couples civilly married and planning to marry in the Church:
If married for less than 5 years, the Archdiocesan course is appropriate
If married for more than 5 years, they should attend Marriage Encounter weekend: http://www.wwme.org and
- Do a Prepare /Enrich relationship inventory
- Attend Fertility Health Awareness (if still of childbearing age).
Please note that we will send a Completion Report to your priest after you have completed ALL the above requirements. Our Office may waive a session or requirement in specific circumstances, as advised by the Pastor.
- The fee is $260 per couple. Payment can be done online with credit card or by using a PayPal account. For registration by phone, please call 604-683-0281 ext 50222.
- If only one is attending alone as the other is not in the city, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for payment info.
- Registrations will close if the spots are filled and/or 72 hours before the start of the course.
- Courses may be cancelled if numbers are low in which case you will be duly notified and would have to register for another course. Please do not register a course close to your wedding date as there is a possibility of cancellation.
- Couples once registered, must attend the first session and take sessions in sequence. There will be a $10 fee imposed for no show, save for emergency and extenuating circumstances. Make-up sessions are strongly discouraged.
- As we wish participants to be fully present to each other and to the presentations, no infants and children are permitted.
- We understand if occasionally, couples may require time before resuming wedding plans. Refunds can be processed (minus a $10 administrative fee and pro-rated if applicable) should couples choose to cancel or withdraw from the course.
- If Marriage Prep is retaken in the future, with the same or different person, we will consider a reduction of the future fee.
Weekend, single weekend Courses 2018
|The Marriage Preparation Weekend Course is solely for those couples whose circumstances do not permit them to do 3 Saturdays or 5 weeknights. If you believe this applies to your circumstance, then please use the link to the application form. A Fertility Health Awareness presentation is included in the weekend course.|
|John Paul II Pastoral Centre (Karol W. Hall)
4885 Saint John Paul II Way, Vancouver
|Feb 17-18, 2018
10 am – 4:30 pm