The Archdiocese encourages all catechists to complete a certificate in their chosen ministry area in order to facilitate effective catechesis at the parish level. The Synod document “Let Us Act” emphasizes that “One of the most important principles for decision-making in the Church is the principle of subsidiarity, which states that what needs to be done should be carried out as close as possible to where the need occurs… The Archdiocese’s central offices should offer help, but the local community should provide ministry and services directly when it can.” In answer to this call, the Office of Catechetics offers certification for specific parish ministries through Formation Institutes.
What are Formation Institutes?
- On a rotating basis, Formation Institutes offer all courses needed to complete our 3 Catechetical Certificate Programs, as well as a variety of general interest courses, open to all
- Institutes are one-day events held seasonally at various locations from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Courses are either half-day or full-day
What are the Catechetical Certificate Programs?
- Parish Religious Education – Elementary PREP
- Liturgy of the Word with Children (LWC)
- Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA)
Register for Formation Institutes online, by mail or by phone
Select the seasonal Saturday institute for more information and how to register.
January 21, 2017 at St. Patrick’s Regional Secondary School, Vancouver
- For 2017 course listing, click here.
April 29, 2017 at Holy Cross Regional Secondary School, Surrey
- For 2017 course listing, click here
August 26, 2017 at Holy Cross Secondary School, Surrey
- For course listing click here
September 30, 2017 at Notre Dame Secondary School in Vancouver