The Roman Catholic Cemeteries of the Archdiocese of Vancouver (RCCAV) is seeking a groundskeeper to join our team at the Gardens of Gethsemani Cemetery in Surrey. The incumbent performs grounds operations and maintenance functions for the orderly burial of the dead as well as to contribute to the good public relations of Catholic Cemeteries by providing services in a competent manner, whilst serving the families in a caring and compassionate spirit.
The successful candidate will be able to perform the following:
- Cemetery grounds operations include grave preparations, burial functions, planting, maintaining irrigation systems and providing general care of property;
- The transport of human remains, lowering a casket, opening and closing a crypt or niche and communicating with the grieving family members at the gravesite;
- Ensuring that cemetery grounds operations are performed in compliance with established cemetery, archdiocesan, governmental and health & safety regulations;
- Performing burial services and memorial placements at the cemetery accurately and in a timely manner in accordance to established policies and procedures;
- Assisting visitors with the location of gravesites/lots in a professional manner utilizing available resources such as cemetery maps and interment records.
- Knowledge of the Catholic Church and the Catholic burial tradition;
- A high school graduation; and completed cemetery maintenance courses or experience (preferred);
- Experience in operating a backhoe, tractor, pickup, mowers and small equipment related to cemetery maintenance and operations;
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including tact, courtesy and diplomacy;
- A valid BC driver’s license;
- Previous experience in the cemetery industry is an asset.
- Cemetery operations are from Monday to Saturday; workdays will be determined by supervisor;
- Availability for occasional evening/weekend work if required;
- Duties are performed in all weather conditions;
- Opportunity to work in a faith-based team environment;
- Excellent benefits package including a pension plan.
Human Resources Office
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver
Thank you for your interest; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.