Extreme Weather Shelter Worker – Catholic Charities Men’s Hostel
The Catholic Charities Men’s Hostel is looking for seasonal workers to support the Extreme Weather Shelter (EWS). Under the direction of the Director of Shelter Services and the Shift Leaders the EWS Worker is responsible for the care and needs of the EWS guests. This role is critical to the success in the assurance of safe and secure daily operations of the EWS in periods of extreme weather during the fall and winter months.
With the aid and supervision of the shelter staff the extreme weather shelter worker will:
- Monitor the safety of the guests at the EWS beds;
- Conduct security checks in the EWS spaces, and other common areas;
- Provide continuous interaction with the guests and is available to listen and respond the guests needs;
- Complete general administrative tasks, including: responding to phone calls and entering data into the daily log etc.;
- Complete a variety of other guest relations and administrative duties as assigned.
- Two (2) years previous experience working or volunteering with homeless persons (shelter experience preferred);
- Knowledge of substance abuse and mental illness;
- Superior conflict resolution and de-escalation skills;
- The ability to work collaboratively, to respect confidentiality, to serve patrons of all spiritual persuasions, embracing servant leadership;
- Related education / course experience.
Working Environment & Conditions of Employment:
- Work week depends on the need of the EWS, anywhere between 12hrs/week to 30hrs/week;
- Term Contract (five to six months depending on when EWS closes)
- Two shifts available: 7:30pm-11:30pm (4hours) and 11:30pm-7:30am (8hours);
- Must abide by the Archdiocesan Safe Environment Policy & Code of Conduct;
- Successful Police Check with Vulnerable Sector Search required prior to start of employment.
Please submit a résumé and a cover letter with “EWS Worker” in the subject line to:
Thank you for your interest; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.