Under the direction of the Co-Managers of The Door Is Open (DIO), the Custodian is responsible for providing the patrons, staff and volunteers with a safe, clean, and comfortable working and resting environment. This role is a necessary part of the team of employees and volunteers that work together for the fulfillment of the mission of The Door Is Open: to lessen the social alienation of the poor, the homeless, and the single room tenants of Vancouver.
The duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Janitorial tasks such as:
- Cleaning all interior areas of the DIO according to Health standards: vacuum, mop, wash windows, clean, dust, paint, replace light bulbs, etc;
- Disinfecting all washrooms daily, and cleaning all sanitary fixtures: door, panels, drinking fountain etc.;
- Cleaning up spills, picking up trash, and responding to special requests for custodial services from staff in charge;
- Properly disposing of garbage waste.
- Maintaining a safe environment and reporting safety, sanitary, fire and other hazards to the proper authority.
The successful candidate must:
- Affirm and support the Mission and Values Statements of Catholic Charities’ Door Is Open, including a willingness to respect Catholic and other multi-faith beliefs as well as a philosophy of compassionate service to others;
- Be physically and mentally able to carry out the assigned duties in the working environment;
- Demonstrate a positive and respectful attitude towards the patrons;
- Have the ability to communicate effectively, possess good interpersonal skills, especially conflict resolution skills;
- Have general basic operational knowledge of office equipment;
- Demonstrate the ability to work as part of a collaborative team;
- Have good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize;
- Maintain confidentiality and respect guest privacy;
- Have a working understanding of poverty issues, homelessness, addictions issues and inner city needs is essential.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must adhere to Archdiocesan code of Conduct and Safe Environment, Personnel and other relevant policies;
- Successful Police Check with Vulnerable Sector Search required prior to start of employment.
- Located at 255 Dunlevy Avenue, in the heart of East Vancouver;
- Schedule will be determined by supervisors in collaboration with incumbent – approximately three (3) days per week.
- Availability for weekend and/or evenings as required;
- Ability to have a flexible schedule.
Please submit a résumé and a cover letter with “Door Is Open, Custodian” in the subject line to:
Thank you for your interest; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.