The Communications Office is looking for a Digital Designer to join the Archdiocese’s Digital team and to support the B.C. Catholic Newspaper. This position requires a dynamic individual with the capability of managing numerous projects at once while delivering a high-quality product. Among other responsibilities, the designer will assist with planning and co-ordinating the layout of the newspaper, as well as, creating artwork, graphics, and other digital assets for websites, social media and printed materials.
Some of the duties and responsibilities will include:
- Producing content, coordinating production with external contractors, ensuring a smooth flow of pages, and maintaining the database and archives for the B.C. Catholic Newspaper;
- Providing advertising services for the B.C. Catholic Newspaper;
- Producing content for websites and social media by creating artworks, line drawings, logos, and advanced graphic features. As well as, editing and refining video(s) for online use and for podcasts;
- Producing print content for ministries and campaigns by designing posters, brochures, banners, and other promotional material;
- Working with various ministry stakeholders to identify appropriate graphics, messaging ideas, and elements.
The successful candidate must have these skills and abilities:
- A diploma or higher education/certificate in Design, or relevant experience as shown in a portfolio;
- At least three (3) years’ experience in design, UX, social communication, and digital marketing;
- A good understanding in the basics of newspaper or magazine layout and design;
- Proficient in web design and layout, the creation of social media graphics, promotional print materials and video editing;
- Strong understanding of designing intuitive website functionality, interaction, website architecture, user interfaces, and navigation;
- Proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and proficiency using, email, and web searches;
- Demonstrated ability in the plan, design, layout and production of a variety of publications; skill in use of various software packages mainly, InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator and Premiere;
- Good working knowledge of current issues and conditions affecting the Archdiocese of Vancouver and the Catholic Church;
- Ability to work independently but collaboratively, stay on track of projects and to work within tight deadlines.
- This is a full-time position and may require occasional evening and weekend work;
- Excellent benefits package included with the opportunity to opt into Pension.
Please submit a résumé and a cover letter supported by your portfolio by July 13 with “Digital Designer” in the subject line to:
Thank you for your interest; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.