- Practice: You can reach Steve at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://cornerstonecounsellinggroup.ca or linkedin.com/in/stephen-ching-774a47140
- Phone Number: 604-239-0795 ext. 3
- Location: Vancouver and Langley
- Are you in private practice? Yes
- Do you participate in any insurance plans? Yes
- Do you offer sliding scale/reduced fee counselling? Yes
- Telephone/Video counseling: Yes
- Please list all languages that you speak: English
What Kind of Clients Do You Work With
- Individuals and couples
Message from Therapist
For more questions about counselling, feel free to contact me and see the links below for more information:
Many of us at times have encountered difficult, perhaps overwhelming, life experiences. This may include feelings of being stuck, or having experienced pain or shame in some way. As I get to know my clients more closely, what continues to inspire me is their courage and resiliency as we explore the vulnerable areas of their lives.
I received my Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology from Trinity Western University and have a Bachelorâ€™s degree in Philosophy from the Seminary of Christ the King. I am a member of good standing with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (see CCPA for more information) as a Canadian Certified Counsellor.
Therapeutic Approach: I seek to connect with the client wherever they are at. I believe that clients will thrive most in therapy through having an authentic, safe, and attuned therapeutic relationship. I also believe that at our core, we are beings who desire to be meaningfully connected to others. We long to fully integrate the emotional, intellectual, behavioural, and spiritual parts in ourselves. Walking alongside my clients in this way is an honour for me as a counsellor.
My approach to therapy is primarily informed by Gestalt therapy and Attachment theory. I also integrate techniques from Cognitive-Behavioural therapy (CBT), Emotion-focused therapy (EFT), Mindfulness, and Dialectical Behaviour therapy (DBT). I gladly welcome couples and individual clients.
I am also committed to my professional development. I do so to be better prepared to offer clients effective treatment supported by research. I have completed the Observed Experiential Integration (OEI) Level 1, as well as completed training to be a Gottman Seven Principles Workshop Presenter. I am taking part in ongoing training for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) and Therapeutic Enactments.
Credentials, Training, Qualifications
My clinical experience includes working with clients in private practice, high schools, and the Mood Disorders Association of BC. I have worked with those who have struggled with:
- Various dependencies (substance use, Internet, etc.)
- Managing anger
- Grief or loss
- Exposure to or direct trauma
- Issues related to Post-traumatic stress
- Abuse (Sexual, Physical, Emotional)
- Emotional and interpersonal concerns
- Life transitions
- Men’s issues
- Concerns from a Catholic/Christian faith perspective
Counselling Methods Used
Gestalt therapy, Attachment, Cognitive-Behavioural therapy, Emotion-focused therapy, Mindfulness, Dialectical Behavioural therapy, EMDR