For more information, click here.
To drive in BC you must have a valid driver’s license. If you have just moved to BC you can use your license from your previous residence for up to 90 days, but have to apply for a BC driver’s license within that 90 day period. If you have held a full privileged license for a full two years, you can apply for a BC driver’s license.
You must be 16 or older to apply for a BC driver’s license.
Driver’s licenses and insurance are issued by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC).
To obtain a BC Class 5 Driver’s License:
- You will need two pieces of identification. To find out what pieces of identification are acceptable visit the ICBC website.
- Depending where your past license is from, you might be able to exchange it for a BC license right away.
- You may not need to take tests if you have a license from: United States, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, South Korea or another Canadian province.
- You may need to take the road and knowledge tests if you have a license from: China, Iran, Philippines or Iran.
- If you have a license from another location, you will need to show your foreign driver’s license or your driving record or a letter of experience.
- Non-English documents must be translated an ICBC approved translator. For more information call 1-800-950-1498.
- Take the Knowledge test. Study the Learn to Drive Smart Guide to learn the driving rules in BC. This guide and practice knowledge tests are available on the ICBC website.
- In order to pass the knowledge test you need to answer at least 40 out of 50 questions correctly.
- Take the Road test, where an ICBC examiner will evaluate your driving skills.
- If you are getting your first license you will go through BC’s two stage graduate licensing program.
- You may need your Class 5 license before being able to drive another type of vehicle such as a motorcycle, bus, large truck or taxi.
For more information on BC’s graduated licensing visit the ICBC website.
Driving schools can help you learn to drive. You may be able to find a teacher who speaks your language. Look in the yellow pages, under Driving Schools, to find a list of schools in your area. Make sure it is an ICBC-licensed driving school.