Pope Francis has called on bishops to be shepherds who encounter their flock. In this spirit, I look forward to spending time in parishes through this new program. Archbishop J. Michael Miller, CSB
- (Oct. 2017) Archbishop announces plan to visit all 77 parishes | Catholics in the Lower Mainland may soon be seeing more of their archbishop. Read more on bccatholic.ca.
- (Jan. 2018) What to expect when you’re expecting the Archbishop | So, Archbishop J. Michael Miller is visiting your parish. While the amounts of paperwork and preparation might seem daunting, this three-day pastoral stopover can encourage and revitalize a church community. Read more on bccatholic.ca.
According to the Code of Canon Law, the Archbishop is expected to pay visits to the parishes of his Archdiocese in order to familiarize himself with the pastoral needs of his people. The Parish Visit is an occasion to rejuvenate the energies of the parish, to encourage and to reassure the lay faithful, and to foster the evangelizing mission of the Church.
THE PARISH VISIT LASTS THREE DAYS
Depending on time and circumstances, Archbishop Miller will:
• Celebrate Mass
• Meet with the pastor, assistant, deacons and staff who serve in the parish
• Meet with the Pastoral Council and the Parish Finance Council
• Meet with PREP teachers
• Meet with leaders of different ministries: CWL, Knights of Colubmus, music, liturgical
and outreach services
• Visit the school to meet with all the staff
The Archbishop’s visit is a time of grace and celebration. It is a special event in the life of a parish; an opportunity to invite the lay faithful to a renewal of Christian life. The visit engages parishioners, focuses on how the Archdiocesan priorities and goals are being lived out and includes opportunities for discussion and social interaction. It is a time of rejuvenation, encouragement and reassurance. Afterwards, the Archbishop will prepare recommendations to the pastor to help parishioners become more intentional missionary disciples.
- Oct. 19-23 Corpus Christi, Vancouver (Photos)
- Jan. 18-21 St. Matthew, Surrey (Photos)
- Jan. 25-28 Holy Trinity, North Vancouver
- Feb. 22-25 St. Andrew, Vancouver
- Mar. 15-18 Holy Spirit, New Westminster
- May 3-6 Sts. Joachim and Ann, Langley
Contact email@example.com to request printed copies.
Download Parish Visit brochure
Download Priorities & Goals brochure